In 3-6 months after filing your trademark application with the USPTO, an examining attorney will review your application filing to determine if it is eligible for registration. If you recieve a response instead of an approval, do not be discouraged, this doesn't necessarily mean your trademark will not be granted. If you are unsure about what exactly the USPTO Examiner is requesting from you, we understand how confusion can turn to panic.
There are two types of Office Actions:
A non-final Office action informs you of an issue for the first time. An initial Office Action (Refusal to Register) may issue that requires a written response or argument in order to overcome the first refusal and advance your mark to registration.
A final Office action is sent if your response to a prior Office action did not resolve the issue that was identified. The only way to respond to a final Office action is either to comply with the requirements contained in the letter or to submit an appeal to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
What can you expect when you call MU patents about an Office Action from the USPTO:
- We will look over the Office action for you and conduct a cursory review of the Action that you received.
- We will provide you with an indication of what might be involved and what the Examiner is requesting
- We will provide you with costs that might be involved in preparing and filing a response.
- On your approval, we will proceed to conduct a detailed analysis of the Office Action.
- We will prepare a draft response to the Office Action and incorporate your feedback where possible into the response.
- On your approval, we will file the response and report the filing to you.
Call us today to get started on your Office Action response: 858.263.7554
At MU Patents, we love what we do. We believe to encourage individuals and small businesses to continue inventing, there needs to be teams out there that can protect them and make their cutting edge ideas happen. Our commitment to protecting your interests means a frank discussion of your protection goals, a tailored strategy to meet those goals, at an affordable, flat rate price.
The first first conversation with us regarding your trademark office action is complementary, call us today.